Sunday, March 11, 2012

A twist in the tale


Now this is a story Jeffrey Archer would have been proud of. I must admit I went into Kahaani expecting a good movie - a deep, meaningful film with great performances - and came out getting a taut, riveting thriller that is hard to second guess! And yes, it had great performances too. Giving anything out about the movie and its story will be a gross disservice to those who havent seen it yet, so lets just focus on the other aspects.

Kahaani has a great story, which ties up almost all loose ends and manages to be totally convincing. Yes, there can be one or two minor issues you may have with the story (I have a couple, hit me up if you want to get into a discussion), but those are inconsequential when compared to the masterful direction by Sujoy Ghosh. This guy had lost his direction (no pun intended!) with the terrible money-waster Aladin a few years after starting out brightly with Jhankaar Beats, a deliciously fun film with great music, and Home Delivery, a movie that bombed but also one I enjoyed in parts for its superfun spoofy format. He is back on track with Kahaani and I am eagerly looking forward to what he comes up with next.

All the actors are in great form, not the least of them Vidya Balan, fresh from the success and accolades earned for The Dirty Picture (which I found a tad overrated). She gives a fine, controlled performance and barring for a couple of out of place laughs and smiles, she carries the film on her firm shoulders. Nawazuddin Siddique is real as IB officer Khan. But the show is stolen by Saswata Chatterjee in the role of Bob Biswas. He is killer! Technically, the cinematography and editing are apt and the background score fits the mood. The songs are not used much but wisely used wherever they are used.

In the end, Kahaani is a work of a master director. If movies like Johnny Gaddar and Samay are your cup of tea, Kahaani is an exotic chai you shouldnt miss.


2 comments:

Azel said...

I saw it today and I absolutely loved it. Agree with everything about the post, except for the 'misplaced laughs/smiles' observation, i felt they enhanced the 'real'ness of her performance. Parambrata as Rana was a delight too, with such a sincere performance. Also, if you have ever been to Calcutta, or especially if you are from here, the movie will be special.

Shantanu said...

Thanks for the comment Azel. I found her advances towards Parambrata slightly inappropriate and artificial. I know it was all part of her plan, but she was getting away with playing the sympathy card anyway, so I felt the need for leading him on was unwarranted. Also, I find her laugh a little irritating at times (much less than Priyanka Chopra's though :P ) But that's just my view :)

I havent been to Calcutta, but would love to visit sometime. From whatever little I have seen and heard about it, it sounds like a city with a definite character of its own.