Sunday, April 11, 2010

Badmaash Soundtrack!


I usually dont do music reviews...bcz music is something that you cannot judge in 1-2-3-..-10 hearings...sometimes it takes a mere 15 second prelude to a song to decide whether ur gonna love it for the rest of ur life, sometimes even 100 loops arent enough...

Wait! I am not breaking my aforementioned unwritten rule bcz I found a kick-ass album! Just that its been a while since I heard some good music and I figured I havent raved about inane, senseless songs with foot-tapping beats and delicious melodies in a while....Doesnt hurt to do that occasionally, right? ;)

Badmaash Company looks like a rehash of Bunty Aur Babli, and while that makes me wanna puke, the soundtrack by Pritam sure is a guilty pleasure!

Ayashi, with its guitar-riffin' start and the 'beparwah' rendition by KK(after loong!) is just brimming with enthusiasm and chutzpah! Reruns galore and you still cant get the tune out of your head...

Chaska, sung earthily by Krishna, is refreshingly different, with its laidback mood and irrefutable reverence to a "high"er power. Brings back memories of "Dum Laga" from Dil Dosti Etc. Addictive!

Jingle Jingle is awesome with Mohit's unique rendition, the super-fun lyrics and the brilliant music! But for the ridiculous "Jingle Jingle" chorus which sucks to the bone, this could have been an anthem for keeps! Still a whole lot of fun, if you can phase out the pathetic "jingle jingle" sound!

Fakeera is the best of the lot! And that's saying something considering the album's full of pep and vigour! Rahat Fateh Ali Khan moves away from his typical stuff to give this lilting, meaningful and racy song, with a vintage Pritam stamp all over it!

That brings us to the title song, which put me off with the very first line

"Look Look Left, Look Look Right,
Kar Le Apni, Jeans Pant Tight!"

Trite has a new meaning!! Benny Dayal is wasted in this unflattering piece, which stands out like a sore thumb in an otherwise winner from Pritam!

Lets get this straight : the music of Badmaash Company isnt of the masterpiece variety, but come on, Pritam is no ARR, and to give credit where its due, he has given us awesome (albeit "lifted" :P) stuff like Gangster, Woh Lamhe, Life in a Metro, Awaarapan, Jab We Met, Jannat and Love Aaj Kal (woah! thats some line-up!! and I didnt even consider his massier stuff like Dhoom, D2, Billu and Race!); so when we say Pritam is back in form, it does mean something! :)

Hope the film works too, at least for Shahid Kapoor's sake, coz here's one actor who needs to get his due (and who also needs to learn to smell crap(Dil Bole Hadippa, CpD) from a distance and stay away!). Btw, Anushka, though not much of an actress IMO, is looking smokin' hot in the promos :D

7 comments:

Harshvardhan Pande said...

For Shahid's sake i hope BC [awesome nick for a movie :D ] becomes a hit!

he's all but thrown away wateva advantage he got with Kaminey with dud after dud. this one has to be a hit for him to recover.

i just saw Kaminey last week on TV and cudnt believe it won such few awards! IIFA again being a Bacchan family drama wud give all awards to PAA!!!

Shantanu said...

IIFA sucks! filmfare and screen r a lil bettr but stil not enuf...kaminey was the masterpiece of the yr alongside Dev D!!

Shahid needs a good movie desperately...hope BC is the one :D

MsBlogger said...

I hope its a hit for Shahid's sake too...he has so much potential that ought not be wasted, great blog you have here Shantanu!

I have my hopes pinned on Mausam more than BC tbh but will be delighted if BC does well:)

Here's my review:
http://bwoodishtyle.blogspot.com/2010/05/and-finally-badmaash-company-music.html

Shantanu said...

@MsBlogger: Thx so much! :) Glad to see your blog dedicated to movies...

Btw, just curious...do I knw you?

MsBlogger said...

I doubt you do... I just used your name as I thought it'd be a friendly way to approach...

My Badmaash Company review, please do tell me what you think!

http://bwoodishtyle.blogspot.com/2010/05/review-of-review-badmaash-company.html

Shantanu said...

Thts alright :) Nice to meet you.

Havent seen the movie yet so will read ur review aftr i have...Keep visiting :)

MsBlogger said...

Nice to meet you too!

Sure of course, it's really good in my opinion, I was expecting little and was pleasantly surprised.

Yeah I will...